Tuesday 20 May 2014

My Salad and I (My Vegan Life Diary)

You are who you hang out with. 
I used to believe that am a meat eater and a junk food addict. I skeptically made fun of Vegetarian and Yoga people. And I blame my ex for that. Yeah, my was always skeptical about Yoga people. He said that it was wasting of time and since I was a loyal girlfriend, I followed. I mean, true that am a fanatic Sumatran girl who used to ate meat like no others, but still, he was the one who influence me the most. I used to adore him and thought that whatever he said was right. So yeah, blame no one but him for my so called unhealthy life style.
Then last month I have got an offer to managing a Raw Vegan Cafe in Bali and I took it in an extremist way. I went vegan and signed up for a Yoga class. Okay, so that is me. When I do something, I go for the most extreme way. Many people I knew were disbelieved. They were literally like, "So what the f**k do you eat now?" 
The answer to that question? Salad.
So yeah, this is a diary to my new vegan life. The love story between my salad and I. My boss encourage me and actually challenged me to try the raw food diet for at least a month but I proposed it for 22 days, following Jay-Z and Beyonce's pattern. Nothing in particular, just to motivated me on something. You know, I always love Jay-Z so decided to do what he did for his 44th birthday last year. Hey..am a big fan, remember? And for me, going vegan was not just following my idol, but also because I was touched by the idea of how you can save so many animals life by doing such thing. 
Your next question might be, "Why 22?"
Alright, this is Jay-Z's very own explanation. As explained on his  Life + Times blog before challenge no. 1 that "psychologists have said it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. On the 22nd day, you've found the way." So there you go. When you survive your 21st day, you break your habit. And I, on my 35th day now, think I found my way to a vegan life just by now. I also found there are many benefits to becoming vegan including saving the lives of many animals, greater health and having a much lighter eco-footprint. It really is the lifestyle choice to make. Honestly.
I know, who would think those words all came from me, the used to be proud and loud meat eater. I was surprised myself, like seriously. But working for Divine Earth Cafe, an Organic Vegan Cuisine in Bali did the whole part in creating the new me. I just followed the pattern. As an animal lover, I now feel so great about myself knowing that I stopped hurting any innocent animal in the name of filling my stomach. I do find that disgusting how we use our privilege as a human being to hurt other creatures. How embarrassing. 
Becoming a vegan is the right thing to do. If you see animals as something other than objects of our property, you then would totally understand what is trying to say here. So for those who care, why don't you guys start to eat like you really do care? And trust me, you will find yourself feeling so great about being a new you. You just do.

^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment