Monday 20 January 2014

Welcoming 2014



Whoa! It’s 2014 already and I’ve been away for approximately six months. Not something that I normally do as you guys knew how obsessed I was with writing. But yea, now am back and the first thing that I want to write here is about my new life. So here we go…
After the death of someone I loved in Bali, I decided to relocate to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where I resided for almost nine months before I got a job in Sumatra Island of Indonesia, where I originally came from. So yea, since September last year I became a Sumatran. Alright!
Living in the island where Muslims are the majority of the people after fourteen years in Bali was not something that I could call an easy adjustment. I have several things to manage, started with my fashion statement. I am an island girl who loves island lifestyle and fashion. So to see many people, women in particular, covered up in hijab were something that I never used to. And for a fashionable reason, I was kind of shocked. Honestly, I felt so uncomfortable at first.
I am a very active girl and have a thing for sports in general. So one morning, I went for a run at a running track around a mosque called Masjid Agung. I have no idea whatsoever that in that place, there are rules about dressing up and so I went with my usual sport gears such as, legging and t-shirt. I aware about the location was close to a mosque so I dressed as polite as I could be. I am not a fool girl who didn’t understand manner and that what in my mind was at that time. But guess what?
Yup, while I was enjoying my run, an old guy approached me and told me that I was not supposed to go there in my legging and t-shirt which according to him were invited. And he said that loud enough for people around to heard and looked at me like I was an alien. Oh wow! I was like, huh? I was covered up enough according to my standard but obviously that was not enough to the city. What an embarrassing morning. I then decided to cut my run short and went home. It was enough for my embarrassment. Like a dog lost in a fight, I went home with tail between my legs.  
Funny, that was my opinion to this incident. But that doesn’t make me give up to this town. I mean, come on. Am a fighter and I don’t take no as an answer. Never. What happened at that mosque challenge me even more to defeat this town. Not that I am about to surrender to this place and follow its rules, no way. But seriously, I determine to change the people here to realize and see that you are not what wear, but more like what inside you. You can cover up from head to toe but if you are a bad person, than you are bad person. So yea, wish me luck guys. I think I need all the luck that I can get to change this town and make it more acceptable to my lifestyle. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment